Office of Diversity and Inclusion
This office focuses on initiatives that support an inclusive and welcoming environment where difference is celebrated and every member of our community of students, staff, and faculty feels an authentic sense of belonging.
Events and Activities
From small group conversations on specific topics to large scale celebrations of different kinds of diversity in Fuqua's community, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion is involved in a wide range of events and activities for the Fuqua community, and keeps students, faculty and staff updated on these and other opportunities with weekly newsletters.
- Inclusive and Courageous Leadership featuring professional and academic experts promotes the need for diversity and inclusion in the business world.
- Inclusion Week is an annual event dedicated to generating awareness and understanding of diversity through compelling student events and featured guest discussions.
- Identity Workshops are held for students, staff and faculty to explore intersectionality and how identity impacts experience.
- Defining Allyship offers a panel and ongoing conversations to define allyship at Fuqua.
- Equity Paradigm facilitates a three-session virtual series that explores the history and current state of structural racism in the U.S. and the way it manifests in our individual experiences and organizational dynamics.
- Daring Dialogues is an ongoing series of facilitated conversations on topics that can be challenging or stigmatizing. Participants learn about the experiences of others, ask questions, and share views in a structured and supportive setting. Community members can explore different identities and experiences, and engage in critical conversation.
- Thought Leader Lunches are designed for faculty and staff and have covered many topics, including mental health and race.
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion builds relationships and interacts with a range of internal and external partners on community initiatives that bring us together outside of the classroom to explore these concepts.
Our team partners with and supports the work of Fuqua's student organizations, including diversity clubs and the MBA Association - Diversity and Inclusion subcabinet in student government, on initiatives that foster an inclusive, welcoming, and understanding environment. These clubs facilitate opportunities both for interpersonal connection and enhancing our collective diversity. We also provide guidance to all student organizations about creating inclusive workshops and conferences, and provide inclusive leadership training.
We are privileged to have great partnerships with all Fuqua departments including the Office of Student Life, the Career Management Center, Admissions, the International Programs Office, and Development & Alumni Relations which help elevate and extend our community engagement work in different ways. Our team is also engaged with faculty who have conducted leading-edge research in the diversity and inclusion space.
Our Office of Diversity and Inclusion works with many Duke organizations supporting students from diverse backgrounds including the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture, the Office of Student Affairs, the Women’s Center and the Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity. We also maintain working partnerships with Duke University’s Chief Diversity Officer and Office of Institutional Equity to strengthen this work across the broader Duke campus community.
We collaborate with Fuqua’s alumni, including Minority Alumni Advisory Board to help build a strong relationship with Fuqua's current student body and to engage in activities including personal mentorship, career advice, expertise, and potential speaking opportunities.
We regularly connect with diversity and inclusion experts and leaders in industry, such as Bank of America, FactSet, Cognizant, the NBA, and Deloitte, to share best practices and inform the strategic direction of Fuqua's work.
We are proud to be a key part of a network of diversity and inclusion professionals in academia who connect regularly to discuss initiatives and best practices, and partner on creating content for inclusive leadership curriculum.
We seek to increase the representation of backgrounds and viewpoints in our classes, foster networks of social and professional support for different communities throughout their program, and actively engage business leaders, employers, and recruiters in the job-search process
Fuqua's entire community is committed to creating an environment where female-identifying leaders thrive, and to elevating awareness about the powerful impact they make when they engage, contribute, and have their voices heard in the workplace. Learn More
We are privileged to have faculty who deeply research the drivers of diversity and inclusion. Their expertise helps businesses understand and identify the value of diversity; understand and identify why systemic racism and gender and other bias persists; and understand how we eradicate them.
Some of the world’s most renowned scholars in diversity and inclusion call Fuqua home. Their scholarship is generating insights like the unintended effect of "Lean In" messaging, the impact of military service on some job-seeker's prospects, the natural hair bias limiting job opportunities for Black women, and the negative perception of male leaders who ask questions.